About the Town Council
Madeley Town Council is situated at the southern end of the Borough of Telford & Wrekin, covering an area of 881 hectares and with a population of 18,100 . The Town council area consists of 3 main settlements, Madeley, Sutton Hill and Woodside and also includes the Tweedale and Halesfield industrial estates. The Town council offices are based at Jubilee House on High Street, Madeley. Part of the town of Madeley is contained within the Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage site. The Town Council is one of the largest in Telford in terms of population and in size of the area.
Town and Parish councils form the first tier of local government and are statutory bodies. Revenue is raised from the annual precept which is collected by the Borough council through Council Tax.
The Town Council elects 17 councillors representing the electoral wards of Madeley (5), Woodside (7), Cuckoo Oak (4) and Hill Top (1). Elections take place every 4 years and are due to be held again in May 2023. The Town council elects a Mayor each year at its annual meeting in May.
What we do
Community grants to support local groups
Room hire facilities at Jubilee House hosting a range of local groups
Support for local community centres
Support for community projects
Environment and Rights of Way work
Telford & Wrekin Council
Telford & Wrekin Council are the principal authority for the area and they need to be contacted for enquiries relating to:
- Refuse and bin collections
- Recycling collections
- Roads and Highways
- Street Lighting
- Trading Standards
- Council Tax
- Adult Social Care
- Births, Marriages & Deaths
- Sports Pitches/Leisure Centres
- Environmental Health
- Food safety: hygiene standards, food safety, imported foods, food fraud, primary authority, food sampling, food labelling nutrition, food related illness, FHRS, new business advice and consumer complaints.
- Health and safety: accident investigations, safety and welfare standards, risk based inspections, new business advice, national interventions, tattooists, ear piercing, electrolysis and acupuncture registration and consumer complaints.
- Industrial pollution: permitted processes, contaminated land, air quality, pollution incident investigations; private water supplies, petroleum licensing and planning consultations.
- Domestic pollution: nuisance investigations and noise accumulations.
- Housing: privately rented houses; HMO’s filthy and verminous premises and overcrowding.
- Trading standards: animal health, door step crime, rogue traders, trade mark, weights and measures, explosives and fireworks and product safety.
Licensing: alcohol premise licensing, gambling, hackneys and private hire vehicles and drivers, pet shops, kennels and catteries, riding establishments, zoo’s, dangerous wild animals and caravan sites.
- Neighbourhood Enforcement and Anti-Social Behaviour Team:
The service works in partnership with different council services and public sector agencies to create a multi-functional team, to tackle issues of crime, disorder, illegal parking and anti-social behaviour within our borough towns and communities. The team leads on Environmental and Highway enforcement, as well as with Civil Parking enforcement, managing the CCTV systems covering the Borough, and are responsible for the management of the Southwater Multi Storey Car Park.